Thursday, August 16, 2007

So you think you can dance

Ok... here you are going to notice how much I like TV.

Tonight was the finale of "So you think you can dance". I saw every single episode of this show. I was hooked from the very beginning. I had my doubts, thinking it was going to be the same mediocrity of American Idol ( of course, thanks to Melinda and Sparks, its level was amazing...) seeing the people they were displaying during the auditions... but boy oh boy... dancing is another planet... Anyone can sing. Not everyone can dance! The level of the people in there was AMAZING... I cannot believe that the antithesis of good TV = FOX Network was showing experimental contemporary dance on prime time. A country like the US that has seen its culture of entertainment grow on the history of dance ( Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers Dance on air) is going to its roots... and OMG... what amazing roots! But more than the level, the respect all of the dancers had for each other was impressive, and the fact they invited people who did not make it to Las Vegas but had an amazing style is incredible.

Cat Deeley is gorgeous, she was certainly part of the success of the season. And Mia Michaels... OMG... See I do not care if it is not Pina Bausch or Maggy Marin or Carlotta Ikeda in one of their amazing 2 hour performances, but the fact that they are able to showcase in the traditional commercial TV format, with not very popular tunes something that reaches the level of elite crowds for everyone to see is really revolutionary. Call me kitsch, call me not sacred, call me sacrilege, but the fact a 15 year old teenager in the middle of Wyoming was able to be exposed to something s/he would have never been able to experience in person is amazing. It is not commercial per se. It is not accepted as mainstream, but I really wonder how could this show break the ice... It was great, and yes, I voted three times for Sabra last night, even though Danny and Neil are first class, amazing... I had a great time, a memorable experience this summer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.