Monday, August 07, 2006

Kariye

Go check this site for better quality pics of the Kariye Church in Istanbul. Beautiful tiles, beautiful architecture. I thought immediately about Grid Art, something I teach my students when we talk about ASCII art. It's a small church that saw all its mosaics covered in plaster when it was turned into a mosque. The plaster actually preserved most of the art work, but not all of it was saved. I cannot imagine how it used to look like in the old days. I need a better camera. My Nikon is WAY too old and it does not have an optic zoom, and my treo cam i ok for this, but that's it. Now I know what I want for xmas...







We went to the Suleymanyani Mosque, on the other side of the city. I could not take any pics inside, I had to wear a pareo because my shorts were too short.





No comments: