Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The New Mosque

The blue Mosque did not really do anything for me on saturday. Maybe because of the amount of tourists or the stench of sweaty feet. BUT after TopKapi ( BTW, Top = Cannon Ball = slang for gay...) we went to the New Mosque, right by the spice market - that was closed. That was a completely new experience. We got there in the middle of the prayer, women in the back, in their "private" headquarters, and a lot of men in the main area. Interesting and unforgettable sounds, and a very respectful atmosphere. Meditative perhaps? I am still having some problems with the division of women and men. I am gay, I am the biggest feminist in the world, they are my equals, I love women, they are my friends and partners, I could never treat them in a separate way. But I respect their rules. I am a foreigner here, but how can I deal with these issues? The Topkapi palace has a room with relics from the prophet Mohammed, his hair, a tooth, a letter he wrote stating that whoever that refuses to join Islam is in the biggest sin of all, his hunting bow, his sword. I spent at least 20 minutes looking at the people looking at these relics. The look on their eyes. That is something that those of us who grew up catholics - but grew out of it early en ough in life - never had. The tooth of Jesus. Oh, they had in another room the arm and skull of St John the Baptist... I bet there are at least 20 of those around the world...






Then I stopped at a public collection of tombs, the Sultan, the wife, the sons, the daughters. A sacred space where people pray - and of course you have to be barefoot.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»